Designated Leave No Trace Nazi: Michael Bayne
An Ounce of Prevention
- Supplies taken to the event will be stripped of useless packaging and
stored in sturdy, closable containers.
- Clearly labeled trash receptacles in the dome and tea house.
- Separate containers for recyclable, wet and dry waste in the kitchen,
the wet container being a sealable bucket.
- All rubbish transferred to bags which will be sealed and stored in
the truck so that they come along with us when we return home.
Cleanliness is next to manliness
Our camp mates have been briefed on our cultural choices to promote the
leaving of no trace:
- Toys and trinkets aren't likely to be appreciated; give the gifts of
laughter, surprise and delight instead.
- Costumes should stay in one piece (feathers strongly discouraged).
- Sturdy reusable portable water containers encouraged (no plastic
bottles). Spring for the Camelbak, it's worth it.
- Pick up after everyone, not just yourself: guests, other camp mates,
high people that wandered in off the street. If you see it and it
looks like it might blow away, pick it up.
- If it goes with you out to the playa, bring it back.
Structure installation, operation and tear down
Both the dome and the tea house are 100% reusable and minimally invasive
to install. We will use rebar to anchor the tea house and earth anchors
for the dome.
The tea house will encourage the use of reusable containers for the
receipt of tea and provide clear instructions that disposable tea cups are
not to leave the tea house.
Both structures are fully enclosed with floor and walls as well as
closable entrance (the tea house by a draped door and the dome by zipped
doors and screens) to prevent fiddly bits from blowing out into the wild
yonder. Both structures will be thoroughly cleaned before taking them down
to prevent accumulated bits from escaping during that process.
Site clean up
Sunday, following pack up, a coordinated sweep of our camp grounds will be
made, inspecting each square foot of playa to remove any stray bits that
may have accumulated during our stay. All trash accumulated during the
event will be taken home in the truck to relieve the camp members from
having to dispose of it themselves. It will be recycled or deposited in a
landfill as appropriate.
Camp members are encouraged to help out with the cleaning of any of
the other camps that they enjoyed during the trip. They helped us to have
fun, we can repay the favor.
Further information on leaving no trace and general good advice are
Questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.